Saturday 20 July 2013

Princess Ulyss's 1st Birthday!!

If someone were to ask me what do I enjoy most out of baking and decorating cakes, that will be to be able to bake a cake for my loved ones and see the smile on their faces. And next to come is the 1st birthday of my niece! And of course being a girl, her mother requested a princess theme for the occasion. And to up my challenge, I suggested a two-tier cake to make it look more presentable. However, as I have no experience in baking and assembling a two-tier cake and only know the theory, I decided to try it on a dummy first.

Her mother bought the tiara and the wand which make the decorating much easier. And as Ulyss is the name of a butterfly, thus the butterflies on the cake.
The thing about working with a dummy (styrofoam) is that it is really easier and much neater. However, you have to take note of the edge which is quite sharp and you need to smoothen it before you cover it with the fondant if not it will tear the fondant. Therefore, it is also advisable not to roll the fondant too thin if not it will also tear. These are actually techniques taught by my course instructor while she is showing us how to cover a cake with fondant with the use of a dummy.

Nevertheless, I still prepared cupcakes for the occasion.
Crown and wand for the princess theme.

With the cakes done, let the party begin!

The table all full with princessy stuffs.



The sisters reliving our princess dream

The bouncy castle which the kids enjoy.



The happy family of four! Happy birthday princess Ulyss!
But, the celebration does not end here. As my sister's birthday is just a few days away, we decided to give her a surprise. And what is a birthday celebration without a cake? And assuming that she likes hello kitty from a rather "credible" source, I've made her a hello kitty cake.

A hello kitty cake with the hello kitty cake topper.
But then she has to clarify she is not a hello kitty lover. Ops.
Happy birthday Da Jie!



And there the celebration really ends and we have all enjoyed ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment